Re: potato 2.4.1 and NFS locking

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 15:11:32 -0900
Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 06:25:55PM -0300, Christoph Simon wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm trying to set up NFS between two potato boxes running a custom
> > 2.4.1 kernel (Can't change easily neither potato nor this kernel). In
> > one of the exported directories I need file locking, but get lots of:
> >
> > Feb 18 14:01:17 kernel: lockd: cannot monitor 192.168.1.1
> > Feb 18 14:01:17 kernel: lockd: failed to monitor 192.168.1.1
> >
> > on the client machine. Probably I'm doing something stupid, but I
> > checked the configuration, searched manuals and the web, and can't get
> > wiser. I also checked that statd and lockd are running (they are on
> > both machines), I tried with kernel NFS and user space server and I
> > installed nfs-utils-0.2.1 as suggested somewhere. I'd appreciated any
> > hint.
>
> nfs-utils 0.2 quietly started supporting tcpwrappers in statd, so if
> you have a strict host.deny (say deny everything) then statd will
> refuse connections from everyone.  try adding:
>
> statd: 192.168.1.1
>
> and such to the proper machines.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure if I understood this. If I put
this line to hosts.deny, wouldn't this mean to explicitly deny access
of this computer? But if you meant hosts.allow, this was already in
the list. Sorry, I'm confused. My hosts.deny has, as shipped with
debian, "ALL: PARANOID"; I mention each host individually.

--
Christoph Simon
datageo@terra.com.br
---