Re: Novice memory usage question (SOLVED)

Thank you for the tips.

The relevant info was from http://www.linuxdoc.org/FAQ/Linux-FAQ/x1925.html#AEN2027
:

I quote :

	"7.9. When I Add More Memory, the System Slows to a Crawl.

	This is a common symptom of a failure to cache the additional
memory. The exact problem depends on your motherboard.

	Sometimes you have to enable caching of certain regions in your
BIOS setup.
	Look in the CMOS setup and see if there is an option to cache the
new memory area which is currently switched off. This is apparently most
common on a '486.

	Sometimes the RAM has to be in certain sockets to be cached.

	Sometimes you have to set jumpers to enable caching.

	Some motherboards don't cache all of the RAM if you have more RAM
per amount of cache than the hardware expects.
	Usually a full 256K cache will solve this problem.

	If in doubt, check the manual. If you still can't fix it because
the documentation is inadequate,
	you might like to post a message to comp.os.linux.hardware giving
all of the details"

In fact I did put my memory cards into the second and third slots on my
motherboard, due to a too long DVD-Rom reader I recently put in my machine
(Pioneer, works great otherwise).
It was definitly not a good idea. I took my screwdrawer, switched my DVD
and Zip drives, put my memory into first and second slots, powered up...
and it works great.

Tnanks a lot for your responses.

Franck
------
And remember : "Only Linux makes it possible"