port scare

All,

Not long after my last message to the list last night re: open ports, I
was chatting on IRC and got an email message from logcheck re: a system
attack. It appeared from the message that the attack had been
repelled; however, now when I run nmap, I get this:

Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
Port    State       Protocol  Service
1       open        tcp        tcpmux
11      open        tcp        systat
15      open        tcp        netstat
22      open        tcp        ssh
25      open        tcp        smtp
53      open        tcp        domain
79      open        tcp        finger
111     open        tcp        sunrpc
119     open        tcp        nntp
143     open        tcp        imap2
540     open        tcp        uucp
635     open        tcp        unknown
1080    open        tcp        socks
1524    open        tcp        ingreslock
2000    open        tcp        callbook
6667    open        tcp        irc
12345   open        tcp        NetBus
12346   open        tcp        NetBus
31337   open        tcp        Elite
32771   open        tcp        sometimes-rpc5
32772   open        tcp        sometimes-rpc7
32773   open        tcp        sometimes-rpc9
32774   open        tcp        sometimes-rpc11

What the hell *are* these things and how did they suddenly blast open
after I had shut down all but three? I have changed nothing - and when I
check inetd.conf and the other directories I edited, they are still the
same. Ex: I commented out finger ages ago ... it's still commented out and
yet now there's an open port.

Thx,

Glenn Becker
Online Producer, Community