No panel under KDE

Relative newbie running Debian 2.2.  I've removed and
reinstalled KDE twice via dselect and consistently get the
same situation: I do not get a panel under KDE.  I only get
a desktop with a couple of icons.  I can manually run
kselect, which lets me set the options on the panel but the
panel doesn't show up.  find tells me that I do not have a
file named kpanel on my machine.  dpkg tells me that kdebase
and all the associated packages are installed and configured
properly.  Thanks in advance for any hints or suggestions.