Re: how to remove auto start to X

Indeed ... that sure will work. Uninstalling will
remove everything. As a matter of fact AFAIK  the
post-removal script of packages call update-rc.d!

Since the package itself is  not the offender, it
does not seem necessary to remove the package. If
xdm/ gdm (whatever) needs to be reactivated, only
the startup links need re-insertion. To re-insert
package foobar links, all  that  needs to be done
is:

     #update-rc.d foobar defaults

Afterall, update-rc.d is a debian-only tool, and
IMHO is pretty nifty,  and  helpful. Saves a lot
of de-installation/ re-installation cycles.

Just my personal views though.

USM Bish