RE: Newbie

Thanks Jimmy,
 Did the same as you asked. It worked fine, except for I had to give the
aptget command with -f option, quite a few times.
 However, now I am having some strange problems, the monitor (under X)
suddenly freezes. Even the keyboard doesn't work. And after sometimes, it is
alright.
 Is it that my krenel is not well compiled? the kernel version is
2.2.18pre21. Some interesting things,  get in dmesg are:

..
CPU: Intel Pentium III (Coppermine) stepping 01
Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting.
..
PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device f9, VID=8086, DID=2411
PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
..
PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device f9, VID=8086, DID=2411
PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA

-------------------------------
for my modules.conf, I have

# The BTTV module does not load the tuner module automatically,
# so do that in here
post-install bttv insmod tuner
post-remove bttv insmod tuner

pre-remove serial /etc/init.d/setserial modsave  > /dev/null 2> /dev/nulll

### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/setserial

### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/arch/i386
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias char-major-10-144 nvram
alias binfmt-0064 binfmt_aout
alias char-major-10-135 rtc

Everything on the system is very slow, including telnet etc..

Help!
Kundan