Special issues with X on a TFT screen?

I am helping a friend set his X on a Laptop. The graphic chip is handled by the SVGA server. I have configured the whole thing using XF86Setup and Xconfigurator and after that manually tweaking the setup file.
I get the X server up,(the gray screen) but when it tryes to switch, the screen becomes black and there is no way to get it back.
I suppose it is stepping out of the frecuencies allowed by the TFT screen.
I am not very sure home a TFT screen works, it seems to me vertical frecuency is fixed? I haven't been able to get any information from the vendor.
Any help?
--
Daniel de los Reyes