Weird platform and Debian

Hi,

I just set up a linux firewall at home, therefore I got an old PC of a friend of mine. It runs on 120MHz with 24MB/1GB but that should be ok. I just have a little question about the platform I'm using. It's a NexGen Nx586, I tried to install RedHat first (I had experience using that as a firewall on some 'normal' machine) but it just kicked out the installation-procedure after the first boot. Next I tried Mandrake and Suse, both without any luck (though I figured out the PC just has too few memory for mandrake to install)

I checked the hardware HOWTO and didn't read anything about support to this platform, nor anything negative about it. I found some (very few!) resources, mainly questions as well, about the Nx586. The only thing that may be interesting to mention is that Linux recognizes the platform as a 386 machine.

The situation now is as follows: I installed debian, very minimal installation, and set up ipchains/ipmasq/portfw for my internal network. Debian does run but there are mainly two errors which regularly occur. The first is just a complete lock up of the firewall, with a lot of nasty dumps. The second is a litle more weird. It doesn't lock up (traffic between the internal network and the internet is possible, in both directions) but I can't login in any way. When I first tried to login using SSH from work (or whatever location) it disconnects me immediately without any response, after asking for my passphrase. When I tried to login onto the firewall locally it didn't even ask for a password, but directly gave me a message like: 'Error in /sbin/login', and a library-file is mentioned (I'm sorry I'm not at home now, but I could look up the message overthere). A similar thing occurs when trying to shutdown the machine. If I press ctrl-alt-del at the same time it tries to 'init' but then gives an error also. (means I have to reboot it manually, and everything seems to work fine again, until the same thing happens)

Any help would be appreciated, though I can understand people saying that I should buy a 486 for a few bucks ;)

Thanks,

Tijl Schoonenberg