libc6 upgrade problem

I recently updated through dselect, and the process hangs when it tries
to upgrade libc6.  I am using testing.  Here is what I get:

Preparing to replace libc6 2.2.1-1 (using libc6_2.2.1-3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libc6 .

It will hang there for at least an hour (yes, I let it run for that
long).  The hard drive, cpu, and memory are not being accessed, so I
don't think the process is doing anything at all.

I actually have two questions here.  First... What is the next logical
step?  Should I try to find 2.2.1-2 and upgrade to that first?
Second... how do I kill the process?  I tried Ctrl-c and that didn't
work.  I tried Ctrl-z and that didn't work.  Then I tried firing up
another xterm and killing the process with "kill -9 [PID]" and that
didn't kill it.  The only thing I could do to kill it was change to
runlevel 1 and then back to 2.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

--

Brian J. Stults