Value too large for defined data type?

Greetings,

I tarred up my /home directory in preparation for burning it for safe
keeping.  When tar was done running it exited then reported that the file
I just made was literally too big to do anything with.  rm, mv, cp, nothing
will affect it.  Here is what I see:

rm: cannot remove `/tmp/save.tar': Value too large for defined data type

I was storing the save.tar in /tmp.  I'm running stable version with kernel
2.4.0.  I have tried as root also to remove this file.  How can I get rid
of this bugger?

Bill