Re: Fw: difference b/w comipling kernel and source.deb

Bob Hilliard saw fit to inform me that:
>"Nick" <daye149@pacbell.net> writes:
>
>> What is the differnce b/w compiling a kernel from tar form and installing a kernel-image.deb of the same version.
>
>     A kernel-image.deb has many more of the possible options
>compiled into it than any one person would ever need, therefore it is
>larger and slower than one compiled with just the options that fit
>your preferences and your hardware.

Say it is like this. The default kernel is :

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1042807 Feb  6 20:57 vmlinuz-2.2.17

My compiled kernel is :

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       689499 Feb 11 23:57 vmlinuz-2.4.0

See the difference in size :-)

--
Rajesh Fowkar