apt-get question

Hi,
  I recently installed a package (aterm) from its debian package file
with dpkg -i. Since I have a compiled version of Xfree864.0, I had
to force the installation (aterm required "xlibs" which I haven't got).
Fine.
But now, apt-get refuse to install anything, complaining there's a broken
dependancy. My questions are:
- Can I live with a broken dependancy, or do I have to remove this
  package.
- Is there a documentation about "advanced" features of apt-get, dpkg
  and dselect, such as "how to use the system even with broken
  dependancies, wich were created on purpose" :)
  man page aren't so helpfull, yet they explain well the options. And
  general documentations & guides only explain "basic" features
  of package management.

Thank you in advance,

Antoine Ameurlain