Re: difference b/w comipling kernel and source.deb

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 09:22:42PM -0800, Nick wrote:
> Another nieve question for the list.
>
> What is the differnce b/w compiling a kernel from tar form and installing a kernel-image.deb of the same version.
>
> Or do they go hand in hand.  Do you need to install the kernel-image first or comaile the tar first.
>
> How does it all work?

A couple of things your sending multiple posts to the list about the
same subjects.  Not necessary.  Second if you could set outlook to wrap
to 72 characters I'm sure many on this list would appreciate it.

Compiling and installing a kernel the debian way is simpler in a sense.
The end result is pretty much the same both ways.  Just depends on how
you want to do it.  I would encourage you to try the debian way and see
if you like it.  Either way you need the kernel course code.  Do some
reading before you give it a try.  Read -
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-kernel.html

Install -
kernel-package
and read -
$ zless /usr/doc/kernel-package/README.gz
hth,
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted