Regenerating /etc/alternatives

Apparently my backup software doesn't handle symlinks across filesystems
very well, and when I recently did a full restore, my /etc/alternatives
directory got clobbered.  Is there a quick way to regenerate it, other
than manually going through it (either using update-alternatives or by
hand)?  If I have to reinstall all the packages (similar to "upgrading"
with Red Hat), is there a way to do *that*?

Thanks,
Rich

--
 From the Desktop of Rich Renomeron