tracing a kernel lock up

I'm having a unpredictable system lock-up. In the midle
of some disk activity, the lose all system responsiveness, and the red
disk-access led stays on, without the drives actually doing anything.

The crash is very unprepictable. It occurs anywhere between three
times a day and once a week. The machien is otherwise stable. This
failure mode is not observed under Windows, ruling out a hardware problem.

My uninformed guess blames the udam66 adapter driver. What kind of tools are
available to confirm my suspision? What would you do?

I guess that's not exactly a debian issue, yet maybe debian has a few
trick installed to help tracing such bug down. Besides, I like the community
feel here. :)