Re: Suggestions for an easy-to-setup 10/100 net card?

Bryan Carpenter wrote:

> I'm a newbie asking for help as to which network
> card to buy that will "just be seen" by a standard
> Debian 2.2.17 install. I've tried a Netgear FA312
> and a Linksys LNE100TX rev. 4.1, but neither seems
> to be easy to set up. I did try getting the "tulip"
> driver from scyld.com, but it seems to require munging
> to compile and use. I'm willing to spend money to get a
> card that will either just "be seen" and set up by
> the default install, or else at most need to have
> one of the standard optional modules chosen that
> are offered early in the Debian install.

Personally I use 3com cards because they are supported by everything, everywhere...as I don't believe in Intel as a company, even though their nic cards are supported everywhere. :-)

When I built my last debian (potato) box, I used a 3com 3c905b (apx $30-$35 US), and compiled the support for the card as a module (the package to support this card is 3c590). It has worked from the start and has never quit on me yet :-)

The package is available in the list of nics during the install process.

hope that helps some,
jeff