Re: Suggestions for an easy-to-setup 10/100 net card?

Bryan Carpenter wrote:

> I'm a newbie asking for help as to which network
> card to buy that will "just be seen" by a standard
> Debian 2.2.17 install.  I've tried a Netgear FA312
> and a Linksys LNE100TX rev. 4.1, but neither seems
> to be easy to set up.  I did try getting the "tulip"
> driver from scyld.com, but it seems to require munging
> to compile and use.  I'm willing to spend money to get a
> card that will either just "be seen" and set up by
> the default install, or else at most need to have
> one of the standard optional modules chosen that
> are offered early in the Debian install.

I just noticed this and would like to share my recent experience, in the
hope that it helps someone else.

I also had a Linksys LNE100TX card, and built from the Debian 2.2.17
source package, and told it to use the 'tulip' driver, building it into
the kernel.  The new kernel didn't find the card.  Tried building it
with tulip as a module; that didn't help.

Got the latest source for tulip from www.scyld.com, and tried gcc'ing it
on its own.  Had trouble with it finding libraries, like modversions.h,
as I recall.

The solution that worked was:

1. Putting all the .c and .h files in the /usr/src/linux/drivers/net
directory
2  Using 'make menuconfig' to tell it to generate 'tulip' as a module
3. Modifying /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/Makefile to build 'pci-scan' as
well as 'tulip'
4. 'make-kpkg binary --revision <whatever>' (which I customarily do) to
create my binary kernel package.

Built like a charm.

Modified /etc/modules.conf to have 'alias eth0 tulip'.

'insmod pci-scan'
'insmod tulip'

And the card was recognized, and 'ifconfig eth0 up' worked.

This seems a very easy and Debian-nice way to get the card up and
running.

It's probably not quite kosher to put pci-scan in the drivers/net
directory, since it can pertain to other devices, but what the hey...

I'll try building the stuff static someday when I get the time.