Re: dictonary

Pap Tibor <papt@edasz.hu> writes:

> I'm looking for an English definition dictonary (I mean English to
> English) for Linux. I know there are some dictonary programs for Linux,
> but I haven't found yet English to English dictonary.

     The dict client (apt-get dict) will permit accessing the public
dict servers operated by the DICT Development Group.  If you have
limited disk space and more or less continuous broad band net access,
this may serve your needs.  Adding the dictd server (apt-get dictd)
will permit you to avoid going on the net for dictionary access.

     If you install dictd, I recommend, as a minimum, the dict-web1913
and dict-wn packages for general English definitions.  dict-jargon and
dict-foldoc provide computer specific definitions, and dict-vera
provides definitions of computer related acronyms.  There are a number
of other specialized dictionaries available in Debian (dict-*).  The
package description (displayed by dselect or apt-cache show) for dictd
summarizes the available dictionaries.  The README file for dictd
(/usr/share/doc/dictd/README.Debian.gz) gives more detailed
information about the available dictionaries.

     All of the available dictionary databases are architecture
independent, and have no dependencies, so the latest versions (in
Woody) may be safely installed on any system.  The jargon, foldoc and
vera packages are frequently updated, so the Woody packages are
recommended.

Bob
--
   _