From: "Jason Davies" <jason@www1.kc.aoindustries.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 1:08 PM
Subject: Network problem

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone seen this problem before? When I try and enable the network (on
bootup) I get error messages. Here is what I get when typing these commands:

> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> SIOCSIFADDR: Bad file descriptor
> lo: unknown interface: Bad file descriptor
>
> ifconfig eth0 up
> eth0: unknown interface: Bad file descriptor
>
> This is really annoying because the local loopback doesn't work, and
obviously I can't get onto the network. Pinging anything (including
127.0.0.1) simply says the network is unreachable.

> The modules for the network card seem to load fine. The problem must have
stemmed from upgrading some packages to the latest versions (in the unstable
distribution) because everything was working fine until I rebooted. I am
using kernel 2.4.1 and I've tried using an older kernel but the same things
happen, so any suggestions on how to fix this or where to look for problems?