From: virtanen [mailto:hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 11:12 AM
To: andreas
Cc: owner@bugs.debian.org; joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr;
debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: X-Problems

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, andreas wrote:

> I can't complete any Install. within Debian.I checked any Config. (about
> one week!) I'm no Newbie,but
> whats the Point?An old XFconfig Package?
> No compatible Hardware (Shure,I'm not thinking in that way...It's just
> Standard Hardware)
>
> Do You have any Idea?
>
> Problems:
>
> No Mouse workin'
> No 800x600 Resolution
> No 3DFX Support
> A real bad X-Config. after setting up!

my one cent's worth:

If you managed to get debian installed without X anyway, you might try to
get the mouse working first.

1) Install (with 'dselect') gpm-package and run 'gpm-config'.

and next maybe try to find out, if your 'Voodoo' -card is supported.
(you can look at the long list of 'xservers' by using 'dselect')

2)
Then install (with 'dselect') (trying to get X working):

xf86setup
xserver-common
xserver-vga16

and
xserver-for your 'voodoo'-card (look at the list of all xservers, maybe
you'll find it, perhaps someone knows, if is supported or not)

and
one of the x-window-managers

and run 'XF86Setup'

hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi