Re: alsa sound

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001 17:24:54 +0100, Philipp Schulte wrote:

>modprobe emu10k1
>
>> So ...  I am now running 2.2.18pre21, and the alsa .debs are all the
>> versions that use those kernel headers.
>
>I think the 2.2.18pre-series have the emu10k1 module included. Install
>the kernel-source and do:
>
>$su
>$cd /usr/src/linux
>$make menuconfig
>
>Select the emu10k1 module in the "Sound"-section by typing "m"

This isn't the problem. I have now got emu10k1 loaded [by putting a
line

emu10k1

in /etc/modules]

I might be going wrong because I have also put in

soundcore

and perhaps I should put one of the alsa modules instead, like

snd?

Whats happening is that after the emu10k1 module has loaded, I get a
load of depmod messages saying the various sound modules from

/lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/alsa

have undefined symbols.

Two questions

1)  Shouldn't the debs that I installed have used their install
scripts to put the right thing in /etc/modules, and /etc/modutils (and
run update-modules of course).

2)  Since they didn't what is the format of these entries for the alsa
modules so I can manually enter it.  Particularly, what is dependent
on what.

Alan

alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandler.u-net.com