3c59x.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

So I'm trying to teach my boot floppies to do networking..
I try to insmod my NIC driver, 3c59x.c, but I get this:

3c59x.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

What now? With my usual kernel  this module is loaded with no options,
and I'm  trying this on the  same hardware. insmod  reports no modules
loaded when I do this, so I can't see why there should be a conflict.

I could  compile this driver  into the kernel,  but then I  don't know
what to do when ifconfig tries to run modprobe. Wassup y'all?

-chris