Re: moden, cd and video card

"Antonio A. Lobato" wrote:

>         Which modem, cdrom and video cards do you advice me to buy ?  I have ~
> U$130 (R$260 in Brazil) to buy all it. Speaking under other form: which
> modem, cdrom and video cards does have both middle price and works good
> with Linux ?

modems are the most pricey. to get a good modem usually runs $70-80
minimum.
others may get cheaper ones working but if it's my system i don't take
chances. video cards...since your in brazil im not sure. but i picked up
2 16MB refurb creative labs TNT1s over a year ago for $45 a piece. a few
months later i picked up a 16MB voodoobanshee for about $50(also
refurb),
all of them work great in linux.

as for cdroms if your going IDE, the only drives i use in my IDE systems
come from SONY or TOSHIBA. i don't trust asus/aopen/anyothermbmaker to
make cdroms. just like i would never buy a toshiba or sony branded
motherboard :) but thats me.

i picked up a 40X(more or less, forget the actual speed, they are all
the same these days) toshiba cdrom last night for about $50 i think
(OEM packaging).

and if your building a computer, i already responded to your other mail
i HOPE you did not order a duron to run with a CUV4X as that will not
function. i didn't read this mail and assumed you already owned the
hardware and just made a typo, but this email makes me think you are
currently ordering the hardware.

nate

--
:::