update-menus not working? Here is my info.

Hi. sorry it's taken me so long to do this. It's
been very busy here.

I am also replying to the list, in case someone
else has something to add or is having a similar
problem.

--- Joost Witteveen <joostje@cistron.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 10:12:25AM -0800,
> Xucaen wrote:
> > is /etc/menu/jed:
> >
> > ?package(jed):needs="text" \
> >                 section="Apps/Editors" \
> >                 title="jed" \
> >                 command="/usr/bin/jed"
>
> Looks fine to me. Do you hava a `jed' package
> installed
> (does `dpkg -l jed' give a line that starts
> with `i'?). If not,
> then you should use something like
> `?package(local.jed):...'.

Here is my output from dpkg -l jed and dpkg -l
xjed:

xucaen@whitestar:~$ dpkg -l jed

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
|/
Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems
(Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
ii  jed            0.99.9-14      Editor for
programmers. (textmode version)
xucaen@whitestar:~$

xucaen@whitestar:~$ dpkg -l xjed

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
|/
Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems
(Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
ii  xjed           0.99.9-14      Editor for
programmers. (x11 version)
xucaen@whitestar:~$

> Also, I assume the file-permissions are OK (not
> executable, and
> readable).

Here is my /etc/menu directory:

xucaen@whitestar:/etc/menu$ ls -l
total 20
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          397 Jan 22
 2000 README
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          127 Jan 25
12:07 aim
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           97 Jan 30
08:12 jed
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          116 Jan 30
07:30 mc
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          103 Jan 30
07:30 xjed
xucaen@whitestar:/etc/menu$

if you notice, I have a menu file called aim,
which does indeed work, the other three don't
work.

> > when I run update-menus (as root) it doesn't
> add
>
> You can try `update-menus -v' or `update-menus
> -d', to see more
> output. (with -d, IIRC, you should see
> /etc/menu/jed come by).

I tried update-menus -d.
There is too much output to capture, but from
what I am able to see it never processes
etc/menu/jed or /etc/menu/xjed (but how can that
be?)

> If that doesn't work, please email me. Maybe it
> is a bug in the menu
> package.
>
> Thanks,
> joostje

Let me know if this information was helpful.

thanks!!

xucaen