Re: HP 9100 series cd -writer?

virtanen wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, virtanen wrote:
>

> > I've done many times installing and and installing ide-scsi and
> > sci-support.
>
> This should have been of course: 'installing and uninstalling'
>

> > Now it happens that if try to do this installing (by 'modconf') these
> > modules (ide-scsi and scsi-support) modconf anwers:
> >
> > 'failed'. (So something has changed in the system.)
>
> The whole answer is this:
>
> ________________________
>
> Installing module ide-scsi. If the device isn't there, or isn't configured
> correctly, this could cause your system to pause for up to a minute.
>
> modprobe: Can't locate module ide-cd
> modprobe: pre-install ide-scsi failed
> modprobe: insmod ide-scsi failed
>
> Installation failed.
>
> Please press ENTER when you are ready to continue.
>
> _____________________
>
> So, where can I find that 'module ide-cd' (to get that one installed)?
>
> Because that might be the problem, which has to be solved first.
> (Earlier in my system it was no problem so install ide-scsi, do I have
> changed something quite basic during trying to get that cdburner working.)

 	Perhaps the idecd is installed into the kernel and is not a module.
You can check your kernel configuration in  /boot/version/config.
	That will tell what is configured as a module(=m) and what is
compiled directly into the kernel(=y).So check for the following:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD
CONFIG_SCSI
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR

	IF you previously loaded ide-scsi and sg modules then they are ok.
If IDECD is not a module then that causes the modprobe failed messages.
	So you can remove the 2 lines in /etc/modutils/aliases that refer
to ide-cd. But now you must tell the kernel to use scsi before ide by
adding a line to /etc/lilo.conf :  append="hdc=ide-scsi" and run lilo.