Re: Ummm...Losing disk space. HELP.

Rob> I installed Debian 2.2 on a Gateway PC (PII-233) with no
Rob> prbolems, and it's been running fine.  However, it just recently
Rob> ran out of disk space for some reason.  Uppon investigation, I
Rob> found that the /var/log dir was HUGE, specifically the kern.log
Rob> file.  I removed all the files and rebooted the machine.  The
Rob> kern.log file is continually growing in size.  When i look at it,
Rob> I see this over and over again:

Feb  7 20:22:54 Dale kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device
ide1(22,0)
Feb  7 20:22:54 Dale kernel: hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 {
DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Feb  7 20:22:54 Dale kernel: hdc: packet command error: error=0x50
Feb  7 20:22:54 Dale kernel: ATAPI device hdc:
Feb  7 20:22:54 Dale kernel:   Unknown Error Type: (reserved) -- (Sense
key=0x0d)
Feb  7 20:22:54 Dale kernel:   (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x6a,
ascq=0x58)
Feb  7 20:22:54 Dale kernel:   The failed "Read Subchannel" packet
command was:
Feb  7 20:22:54 Dale kernel:   "42 02 40 01 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 "

Etcetera, etcetera.

Bingo - exact match to my own problem, which I mentioned here several
months ago, without getting a reply, and which I developed a
workaround - not a solution - just a few days ago.

/dev/hdc is your CDROM, and it is not completely conforming with the
IDE/ATAPI standard.  This incompatibility only manifests itself when
there is an error in the "Read Subchannel" command, which almost all
CDROM audio playing programs (starting with workman, I think actually
many programs simply copied workman's code for the hardware access)
use to poll the drive every 5 seconds or so.  And no disc in the drive
qualifies as an error :(

You probably run GNOME or something and have a CDROM playing program
in the panel.  Guessing right?

My workaround was to find a CDROM player that doesn't use the polling
design (which I think is terrible anyway even if it works).  XFreeCD
is one such.  Of course I use no desktop so I am not bound by any
panel compatibility constraints.

Please copy any followups to me; I once again got tired of the volume
on this list.

- --
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
EngSoc adopts market economy: cheap is wasteful, efficient is expensive.