dpkg's files list missing final newline

Hi all,
	Perhaps after an abnormal shutdown the files list file of dpkg was
damaged. Now I cannot dpkg -i or apt-get install anything. It complained
about "dpkg: error processing <the package I was trying to install> :
files list file for package `libgnome-pilot0' is missing final newline". I
tried to remove this and its dependencies, but it could not remove them.
Now dpkg is completely broken. Is there any means that I can do to repair
or recover the files list file?

Thanks,
Eric