Re: /dev/ttyS0 permissions changing...

Quoting Hugo van der Merwe (hugovdm@mail.com):

> Something on my machine is periodically changing /dev/ttyS0's
> permissions to 640, whereas it needs to be 660 to use the modem... I
> have now switched back to using ttyS1, but on laptops with only one
> serial port this is not an option, so I'm still wondering what it is
> that does this. I also want to know out of pure interest. Any ideas?

Are you using wvdial? It seems to require g+w permission (which is
wrong) and it kills pppd in such a way as to prevent it from
resetting the serial port permissions. (pppd has to stop members
of the dialout group being able to snoop while pppd is running.)

Why not try pppconfig, pon and poff...

Cheers,