Re: need workaround for perl-5.6 bug to install unstable.

William,

Firstly, thank yo for your reply.

William Leese wrote:

> On Monday 05 February 2001 16:15, James Sinnamon wrote:
> > Dear Debian users,
> >
> > I am stumped trying to install 'unstable/sid'..  When I run, for
> > example,  'apt-get install debconf', I get error
> > messages similar to the folllowing:
> >
> > Reading Package Lists...
> > Building Dependency Tree...
> > Sorry, task-x-window-system-core is already the newest version
> > 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> > 9 packages not fully installed or removed.
> > Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> > Setting up debconf (0.5.55) ...
> > Can't locate Fcntl.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5
> > /usr/lib/perl5/5.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.6

<snip>

> > ...etc.  I get similar messages, alos when I try to install other
> > packages like task-x-window-system-base
> >
> > ... according to some messages in the archives, this may be  bug# 81485.
> >
> > When I read through the archives, one solution suggested was to install
> > perl-5.6
> > (or was it perll-5.6-base? couldn't find perl-5.6).  When I run apt-get
> > perl-5.6, the same
> > messages came up so I seem to be in a catch 22 situation.
> >
> > I would be grateful if anyone could show me where there is information
> > about a
> > workaround that would get me around this problem  so that I could  start
> > to build my
> > 'unstable' system.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > James
>
> I ran into the same problem twice and ended-up reinstalling woody. This was
> mentioned earlier on this list, i believe the solution was to softlink your
> currently installed perl-5.x version with /usr/bin/perl, if not you can check
> the archives.

I have manged to get around the problem by 'manually' installing (using dpkg -i
<packagname.deb>),
the following perl related *.deb files, which I obtained through
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages :

libc6_2.2.1-1_i386.deb    libdb2_2.7.7-2.2.deb
libgdbmg1_1.7.3-27_i386.deb     perl-5.6_5.6.0-6.2_i386.deb

perl-5.6-base_5.6.0-6.2_i386.deb  had already been installed when the base
system was installed.

My understanding of the problem is that a few perl modules essential for the
running of apt-get
(or debconf(?)) had been ommitted from perl-5.6-base_5.6.0-6.2_i386.deb .

The only remedy was to 'manually' install the extra (non-base) perl  package,
which included
the necessary modules, (and files upon which it depended)  using dpkg, rather
than apt-get.

Once  this  is done, apt-get becomes workable again, and you can  install
whatever you please
using apt-get instead of having to use dpkg directly on each individual package.

(My motivation for installing 'unstable' was that I needed to run dia-0.86,
rather than dia-0.84,
which is all that is availaible on potato and woody, and it's working fine now).

Hope this helps.

Thanks again,

James