Re: INSTALLATION TROUBLE

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 09:55:58PM -0600, Gerardo wrote:
| Hi, my friends.
| I´m a new user to Debian. I have been traing to install several times your "vanilla" flavor of debian in to my cumputer.
|
| I  partitioned my harddisk with MS-DOS "fdisk" command, and no I got one primary partition of about 1.5GB and another partition of about 1.5GB too, it seems to me that I wrote the second one as extended.
|
| The problem is I havent been able to install Debian in one of those partitions, I am running Windows on one partition and want to stick with it at the same time.
|
| When I boot my computer with (F8) in to MS-DOS, I call my drive D:\Debian\vanilla\install.exe, so the installation stops and asks me the direction of my kernel image.
|
| I have already downloaded the files as follows:
|
| D:\Debian\vanilla\base2_2.tgz
| D:\Debian\vanilla\drivers.tgz
| D:\Debian\vanilla\install.exe
| D:\Debian\vanilla\linux.txt (i think this is the file not found)
| D:\Debian\vanilla\dosutils\loadlin
| D:\Debian\vanilla\images-1.44\driver-1.bin
| D:\Debian\vanilla\images-1.44\rescue.bin
| D:\Debian\vanilla\images-1.44\root.bin

D: is the second partition on your disk, right?  That means you are
using it for DOS/Windows right now.  You will have to move all the
files you want to keep off the D: drive and onto the C: drive (this
includes the downloaded stuff above).  You need to have some available
disk space.  That is, some space that Debian (or any other OS for that
matter) can do what they want with, not just free space that Windows
has control over.  When I installed Debian, I made the boot floppies
and booted from them.  Since you are using windows, download the
"rawrite" program.  Use it to copy the rescue.bin and root.bin file
onto floppy disks (1 file per disk).  You can't use windows (Dos
prompt or Windows Explorer) to do the copy.  The .bin files are exact
binary copies of the entire disk.  If you use Windows Explorer, you
will have a Windows format disk with a file on it and you won't be
able to boot with it.

| By the way if you have any documentation on programming (basic programming) on LINUX, I would really apreciate it.

www.python.org   Python is a very cool and easy to learn programming
language that is also cross-platform.