nic and dhcpcd trouble

I'm running 2.2.12 with a kingston pci card using the tulip module.  It states that the eth0 is in promiscuous mode?  What does that mean?  Also i just installed dhcpcd from a tarbel but the files don't seem to be where all the how-to's say they should?  The card is connected to a surfboard4100 cable modem an adelphia.  #$%%%!& windoze works but I want my debian too.  Its just so much faster!  Should I reinstall and insert dhcpcd then before anything else and get the upgraded version or can i still get this one to work?  Please help.  Email is cparker@adelphia.net