PS/2 & Debian 2.2 install problems

Has anyone gotten Debian 2.2 to install on a PS/2?  I was able to get
2.0 to install and work fine, but a recent HD crash has made me
rebuild the system.  I can't seem to find the 2.0 install disks
anywhere, so I thought I'd try 2.2 (which really is the version I want
on there if possible).  I have the 2.2 CD and made the floppies from
that CD (no CD-Rom drive on machine) and tried to install.  It didn't
have any problems until I tried to run lilo, which wouldn't install.
I also gave me the warning that I was not installing on the first
device on the chain, but the drive is found at /dev/eda.  To me, that
says it's the master drive on the ESDI chain but I don't know enough
about ESDI to know if it works like IDE in this regard so I could be
wrong.  I flipped to the console and tried running it manually and
lilo didn't appear to even recognize the HD as being mounted.  It said
I needed to mount the target partition on /target, but it was already
mounted.  I even tried umounting it and then remounting it, but that
had no effect.  So I made a boot disk and tried to boot it that way.
After it recognizes the ESDI disk, an error message appears
repeatedly.  Something along these lines:

Unable to exec /usr/sbin/modprobe -t -n binfmt-0000

The - options may be incorrect, but the rest is right.  This message
just keeps scrolling and never ends.  Does anyone know why I'm having
these problems and/or a way to get 2.2 to install on a PS/2 model 55?
TIA.

Rob