Re: Smallest ext2 file system?

The question belongs in debian-user.

Anyway, the answer is between 57856 and 58368 bytes is the minimum size on
my "potato" system.

I could probably determine a more exact answer, but I don't care.  Just
make it at least 114 blocks and you should be OK.

I haven't verified if the 114 block filesystem WORKS, but at least mke2fs
didn't error out.

nmc:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=~/junk count=113
113+0 records in
113+0 records out

nmc:~$ /sbin/mke2fs junk
mke2fs 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
junk is not a block special device.
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
junk: Not enough space to build proposed filesystem while setting up
superblock

nmc:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=~/junk count=114
114+0 records in
114+0 records out

nmc:~$ /sbin/mke2fs junk
mke2fs 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
junk is not a block special device.
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
16 inodes, 57 blocks
2 blocks (3.51%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
1 block group
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
16 inodes per group
Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

nmc:~$ /sbin/mke2fs -V
mke2fs 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
        Using EXT2FS Library version 1.18

----- Forwarded by Vince Mulhollon/Brookfield/Norlight on 02/05/2001 09:53
AM -----

                    Dale Scheetz
                    <dwarf@polari        To:     debian-devel@lists.debian.org
                    s.net>               cc:     (bcc: Vince Mulhollon/Brookfield/Norlight)
                                         Fax to:
                    02/05/2001           Subject:     Smallest ext2 file system?
                    04:45 AM

I've been experimenting with using an image file to hold small sets of
files, and have run into a snag. If I make the file only a few K large,
mke2fs complains it can't write a superblock. So, my question is: What is
the smallest ext2 file system that can be created?

Any suggestions welcomed,

Dwarf