Re: Dselect - a difficult beast to tame

Calm down! If you want, you can use a simpler apt-get interface called
console-apt - it requires a ncurses package.

Now, for dselect you'll get used to it quickly.
If you want a graphical browser like Netscape, you'll have to edit
/etc/apt/sources.list and add the following:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian    stable    main    contrib
non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US    stable/non-US    main
contrib    non-free
deb http://security.debian.org    stable/updates    main    contrib
non-free

save it and run dselect
choose access, choose apt and not to overwrite the config
choose update and wait until it creates a package list based on the
sites listed above
choose select, hit space bar on the next screen and hit / (search
hotkey), so you can search for netscape
type netscape and hit \ (next find hotkey) as many times you want until
you find the netscape package
when you find it, type + (add hotkey) and follow screen instructions to
resolve dependency problems
when you stop having dependency-related screens, hit Enter to return to
the initial menu and select install

A note: you will download all the netscape packages and also a bunch of
fresh new hotfixes and updates for the system itself. Everything will
reside at /var/cache/apt/archives. At the end of the installation,
select the option to don't erase these installtion files and keep them
for any necessary reinstallation.

Sincerely,

Jose Gracia Neto

--