Re: font package nightmare

Glenn Becker <glenn@icarus.usanetworks.com> wrote:
>I suppose I should've known better, but I attempted to fully upgrade to
>woody last night. One of the problems I had had before the birth of
>'testing' has recurred: there are four Chinese font packages
>
>xfonts-arphic-bkai00mp 2.11.3
>xfonts-arphic-gkai00mp 2.11.3
>xfonts-arphic-bsmi00lp 2.11.3
>xfonts-arphic-gbsn00lp 2.11.3
>
>that get downloaded when I upgrade. *WITHOUT FAIL* they fail to configure,
>producing dpkg errors such as the ones appended below. I only today filed
>bug reports on them, which is only due to my own laziness.
>
>The worst thing is I can't seem to GET RID OF THEM. No matter what I
>attempt to do -- I delete them from /var/cache/apt/archives, I try to
>compile other packages -- these g.d. font packages re-download, fail, and
>hang around FOREVER.
[...]
>/var/lib/dpkg/info/xfonts-arphic-bkai00mp.postrm:
>/usr/sbin/update-fonts-scale: No such file or directory
>dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 1

Have you installed the xutils package, which contains
/usr/sbin/update-fonts-scale? The dependencies of these packages are
bogus; they should be 'xutils (>= 4.0.2)' rather than 'xutils |
xbase-clients (>= 3.3.6-4)'.

If apt-get won't install xutils for you due to the other broken
packages, you'll have to download it manually and install it with
something like 'dpkg -i xutils_4.0.2-1_i386.deb'.

I'll tag a note onto one of your bug reports explaining the problem.