Re: Managing many Debian machines

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 01:40:42PM -0500, Daniel Whelan wrote:
> Greetings - I am currently looking for a solution to managing
> and maintaining a large number of Debian machines. While I
> absolutely love apt-get, manually apt-getting a hundred
> machines to upgrade one piece of software is suboptimal. Is
> there any way to automate this process? One solution that has
> been suggested is to NFS mount some of the software off a
> server - my issue with this is that it would hose the package
> management somewhat. Does anyone have any experience with
> this?

having no experience in this whatsoever, i feel fully qualified
to render my opinion:

have one test box where you
	apt-get install gizmo
and when you're satisfied with the working order,
to put it in your 'broadcastable' area, which could
be nfs or http or ftp from your local intranet.

then have your other internal net boxes point
to your one test box as their repository, and for
all of them, it should be safe to do
	apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
via cron, since they only point to your tested
server repository.

did i mention this is based on conjecture?

See, if you were allowed to keep the money, you wouldn't
create jobs with it. You'd throw it in the bushes or
something.  But the government will spend it, thereby
creating jobs.      -- Dave Barry

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/