IDE CD-ROM and DevFS

Hi folks,

I've recently installed 2.4 and wanted to have a play around with devfs,
so I compiled into into the kernel, and built devfsd from sid:

ii  devfsd         1.3.10-5       Daemon for the device filesystem

I like the idea of devfs, and generally it's working pretty well for me.
The only major annoyance so far is that I can't seem to access my IDE
cd-rom. I have 1 scsi cd-rom, 1 scsi cd burner, and 1 ide cd-rom. I can
access the scsi cds fine, and they both show up under /dev/cdroms:

[rei:~]% ls -l /dev/cdroms
total 0
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           34 Jan  1  1970 cdrom0 ->
../scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/cd
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           34 Jan  1  1970 cdrom1 ->
../scsi/host0/bus0/target3/lun0/cd

So why doesn't my ide cd show up?

The cd-rom driver is built as a module:

[rei:~]% grep IDECD /boot/config-2.4.0-ac11
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m

and is loaded:

[rei:~]% /sbin/lsmod|grep cdrom
cdrom                  26720   0 (autoclean) [sr_mod]

I'm pretty sure (though not 100%) that it was working with 2.4 before
devfs, but it's a pain to reboot to find out!

Has anyone any suggestions? Am I missing something, or is it likely to
be a hardware issue?

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,