Re: are apt/sources.list http: and ftp: same?

At 10:26 PM 01/31/2001 -0600, will trillich wrote:
On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 11:08:56AM -0600, Gregory Guthrie wrote:
> >as for the server end of the arrangement, they may be the same
> >identical file, or they may be served from servers located in
> >different countries.
>
> -- The original question was not of performance, but functionality. I
> reported that http: lines to the woody were not finding known items, but
> simply changing it to ftp: fixed it. I think this is a bug, unless I am
> missing something.

just like on your web browser: sometimes, changing
        http://server.name.here/and/a/path/too
        ftp://server.name.here/and/a/path/too
works -- but it's most likely to be coincidence
(docroot for ftp is not likely to be the same as
docroot for http, in most cases).

-- Hmm, interesting.

So, when I look at packages.debian.org/stable does this document only the http: sites, and if so, where (if anywhere) is the description of ftp site contents?

Seems like it is a natural assumption (IMHO) that these are two different access methods, to what should appear to the user as identical archives. Else, this should be documented somewhere!

Thanks,
Gregory

Gregory Guthrie
guthrie@mum.edu         (641)472-1125    Fax: -1103