does anyone here use update-menus?

Hi all..

I've added new menu files to /etc/menu but
update-menus doesn't see them.  I got this to
work with one menu file I added, but I've added
three more since and they don't show up.
here's one that I am trying to get to work, this
is /etc/menu/jed:

?package(jed):needs="text" \
                section="Apps/Editors" \
                title="jed" \
                command="/usr/bin/jed"

just as a comparison, here is my emacs, which
does work, /usr/lib/menu/emacs20:

?package(emacs20):\
  needs="text"\
  section="Apps/Editors"\
  title="Emacs 20"\
  command="/usr/bin/emacs20"\
  icon=/usr/share/emacs/20.7/etc/gnu.xpm

the only difference is the icon, but that
shouldn't matter..
does anyone else see something that maybe i'm
missing?
The docs say that anything in
/etc/menu will override /usr/lib/menu

any ideas?