Re: mutt -- slow on send

on Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 10:20:59PM -0500, Vinod Kurup (vkurup@massmed.org) wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 06:51:14PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > I'm noticing in the past 24-48 hours that Mutt seems to have turned into
> > a dog <g> on 'send'.  There's a noticeable delay -- call it 2-3 seconds,
> > when I submit a message to queue.  Not sure if this is mutt or exim or
> > another part of the process, and not quite sure where to start looking.
> > System load hasn't changed notably.  Confusion reigns.
>
> You could try opening up another xterm and tail the exim mainlog
>
> # tail -f /var/log/exim/mainlog
>
> Then go to mutt and send a message. As soon as you hit the send key,
> the message should log to exim. At least you could identify which
> program is delaying.
>
> Beyond that, I'm not sure what the next step would be...

Thanks for the suggestion, that's narrowed it down.

The log message took a second or so to appear.  On a hunch, I restarted
bind (I'm running a local DNS, mostly to give myself extra headaches, I
think).  Periodically, everything dealing with DNS starts bogging down,
restarts usually help.

Sure enough, this was the case.  Time to start mucking with the DNS
server again.... I *know* my configuration is hosed in several ways.