Re: Still No Cursor in X

On Mit, 31 Jan 2001, you wrote:
> Albert,  I tried the configuration you suggested.  I got a cursor in the

Please let me introduce myself as a man of wealth & taste and the name
is martin 8-)

> text mode but not in X.  I was able to lite up menus.
In X? Did you already try to find out about your X-server options? You
did again not tell what server & window-manager you are using

> After the "ls -al /dev/gpm* I only got the one line regarding gpmdata as
> ..
> What does it mean that the gpmctl entry is not there.

This is a good question indeed. It took me nearly half an hour now to
find out and i'm still not quite sure.

This device entry 'named socket' is created when gpm is started, for
instance on system start or when you manually run '/etc/init.d/gpm
restart'.

When this does not happen on your system, sth. is strange. As i didn't
work with named sockets yet, i could only make wild guesses.
It might be that your gpm is simply too old. Check the version with
'gpm -v'. I've got 1.17.8 and it works fine.
You've got networking in your kernel (this is silly, nearly impossible
you haven't).
Do you run a debian system at all?

Anyway this is strange. What kind of a system are you runnign there?
If you can, try reinstalling gpm.
Post where you've got your packages from, ideally the versions of gpm
and X-server, it's name and the gfx card.

> Thanks John  Hammack@ridgenet.net.
you're welcome

greetings, martin