Re: what do you mean you can't find stdio.h!!!

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 12:09:48PM -0700, Jeff Weatherford wrote:
> Thanks you all for the package name!!!
>
> but now hears one for you...i upgrade libc6 (for compiling the 2.4 kernel),
> and i couldn't apt-get it from the stable distro (the version # of libc was
> too high).  i then downloaded libc6-dev from the unstable distro and now
> dpkg is saying that libc6-dev is having dependency problems.  "libc6-dev
> depends on libc6 (= 2.2.1-1)" but i have 2.2-6 installed...  gggrrr...  and
> all i want to do is compile something...why is it always the easy stuff
> that trips one up?

Uh, you don't need libc6-dev in order to build the linux kernel (well,
you do need it for the ncurses config interface, and the small makedep
program it builds, but the kernel itself does not need libc6-dev at
all). I put forth that you have screwed your system royally by trying to
force packages to be installed.

The way to fix this, download the libc6, libc6-dev and ldso packages
from potato, and do this:

dpkg --force-depends -i libc6.deb libc6-dev.deb ldso.deb

Next time leave well enough alone, or rely on a UI (such as apt or
dselect) to handle these things :)