Re: Server Hardware?

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 07:20:15AM -0800, Mike Egglestone wrote:

> If money is a little bit of a concern .......
> what is the best type of hardware to use?

Even if many experts regard the PC-architecture as inferior compared
to some others you probably still get the most value for little money.

> For example....
> which make of CPU?
> Which Motherboard?

Of course it depends on your needs. If you want to buy a good and
cheap CPU buy AMD instead of Intel. I am very satisfied with my
Thunderbird.

> Does scsi make a differnce?

Depends on your needs. Modern IDE-disks got pretty fast but especially
in servers SCSI offers some advantages. But of course it is much more
expensive.

> Is 3com the best for nics?

IMHO no. My two really cheap Realtek 8139 work great and I have read
benchmarks where those cheap ones were faster than some 3Coms.
Phil