Re: compiling lame - glib error

On 29 Jan 2001 18:35:44 -0500, joeytsai wrote:
> Hi, I just downloaded the newest version of lame (3.87) and I'm having problems
> compiling.  The error message I'm getting is:
>
> gcc  -DNDEBUG -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -ffast-math
> -finline-functions -Wall -pedantic -DBRHIST -DHAVEGTK  -DUSE_LAYER_2
> -DUSE_LAYER_1 -DHAVEMPGLIB -DLAMESNDFILE  -fPIC  -c main.c -o main.o
> In file included from /usr/include/gdk/gdktypes.h:33,
>                  from /usr/include/gdk/gdk.h:31,
>                  from /usr/include/gtk/gtk.h:31,
>                  from main.c:18:
> /usr/include/glib.h:66: glibconfig.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [main.o] Error 1
>
> I have libglib1.2-dev installed, as well as libgtk1.2-dev.
>
> It appears that glibconfig.h exists in /usr/lib/glib/include/glibconfig.h.
>
> Can anyone help?
>

> Thanks,
>
>     // joey tsai

The arguments to gcc should tell where to locate the headers are with
the -I/someincludedir option.
So most packages check for stuff they need through the configure script.
Here if the pacakage you are compiling Lame  has a configure script it
will check for the gtk and glib
libraries by running a test program and if that is succesfull it
replaces the GLIB_CFLAGS in the Makefile
with the value obtained by running "glib-config --cflags". Try this at
the prompt and it returns
-I/usr/lib/glib/include. Similarly glib-config --libs returns the
required libraries and path.
It seems that the configure script is not substituting properly in this
case. So just open the Makefile  with your
favourite text editor and on the line beginning with
GLIB_CFLAGS=
Just put `glib-config --cflags`. If that line is not to be found or it
doesn't work add it in the line
starting with "INCLUDES="  Direct substitution of
-I/usr/lib/glib/include will also work. Also you may
 have a problem during linking. In that case add `glib-config --libs` to
the "LDFLAGS= " line.
Hope this helps you.
Vijay.