Re: Newbie upgrading question

Harrie ter Rele wrote:
> I'm working on a debian 2.0.38 system.

You mean the kernel is Linux 2.0.38; the Debian GNU/Linux
"distribution" has its own version numbering, which is independent
of the kernel version (though the numbers happen to be similar).
With a kernel that old I'd guess it's Debian 2.0, known as "slink";
the current version is 2.2(r2), known as "potato".  You can check by
looking in /etc/debian_version.

> Now i have to upgrade samba (to 2.0.7).
> I need to upgrade some other product(s) also.

Well, I don't know your circumstances but I'd recommend upgrading to
2.2(r2) - which includes Samba 2.0.7.  And as a separate step,
switching to a more recent kernel.

> Can i upgrade from libc5 to libc6 without many problems using dpkg or do
> i have to do this another way (how ?)

You'd cause yourself some problems going from slink to potato using
just dpkg - do you know about dselect?
--
Justin B Rye - writing from but not for Datacash Ltd