RE: USB printing under kernel 2.4: how?

--- Thomas Wegner <thomas_wegner@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Christopher!
>
> On 29-Jan-2001 Christopher R. Barry wrote:
> >
> > --- Thomas Wegner <thomas_wegner@gmx.net> wrote:
> >> Hi Christopher!

> >> What does "lpq" and "lpc...status" say?
> >
> > bash-2.04# lpq
> > Printer: lp0@HAL
> >  Queue: no printable jobs in queue
> this looks good.
>
> > bash-2.04# lpc
> > lpc>status
> >  Printer           Printing Spooling Jobs  Server Subserver Redirect
> > Status/(Debug)
> > lp0@HAL             enabled  enabled    0    none    none
> > lpc>
> it seems also ok.
> >

> >> Are you sure your usb-printer
> >> ist recognized by your system?
> >> Try "cat <textfile> >/dev/lp0. Does it work?
> >
> > No, the command just hangs.
> I think this is the problem. Take a look at the printing-HOWTO and and
> go ahead step by step. What filter-package do you have installed?
> Magicfilter?

I've installed the apsfilter package. I did go through the printing-HOWTO in
great detail. Since catting to the device does not work, I am beginning to
suspect some problem with interaction between 2.4.0 linux USB and my printer,
or perhaps just misconfiguration on my part. There is no way I haven't
compiled some module I was supposed to, but perhaps one of the modules needs
an option it hasn't gotten, or an alias that should be set hasn't been, or
something like that. Anything in particular I should look for?

(I'll try and get a parallel cable over the next few days and see if it at
least works with that.)