Re: use of apt-get upgrade...

> > I'm not sure exactly what "apt-get dist-upgrade" does...
> > as far as what packages is will install. I do know that
> > "apt-get upgrade" only updates packages that you
> > *currently* have installed.
> >
> > I've done an installation and hopefully have the
> > packages that I need and use often enough. I've also
> > went through and removed packages that I don't need.
> > Now, I keep those installed ones up-to-date with the
> > "upgrade" option. I'm afraid that "dist-upgrade" will add
> > some packages back that someone else thinks I need...
> >

> In addition to the function "upgrade" "dist-upgrade" will -
>     ...will attempt to upgrade the most important packages
>     at the expense of less important ones if necessary.
>
> It looks like a "dist-upgrade" might change a few packages
> from your original configuration if dependencies don't work
> out.  It shouldn't add anything in terms of programs that
> you don't have already.

apt-get upgrade handles dependencies too, except that it asks you first
;-)

You mention that dist-upgrade "will attempt to upgrade the most
important packages". Who decides if they're important ?? Or, is it
stored somewhere from when you first installed Debian that you did
install "A" or install "B" ??

Still curious...
Hall Stevenson