Re: Newbie Shell Script Problems

David B. Harris <dbarclay10@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>You should also have "#!/bin/bash" as the first line in your script. "#!
>/bin/bash", with the space, is generally not how it's done. It probably
>won't case any problems, but it's best to do things the way they're
>expected to be done.

I always use '#! /bin/bash' (well, more commonly '#! /bin/sh', but
that's a different debate), and I believe support for that is required
for POSIX compliance. I've heard that there are some Unix systems
(Dynix?) that use the 4-byte string '#! /' as a magic number to indicate
a script. At work we build on quite a number of different Linux and Unix
systems, and I don't think any of them mind whether the space is there
or not.

At any rate, Linux certainly allows both forms.