vim and number pad

I'm using vim 5.6.70 in Potato.  In xterm and gnome-terminal I can't use
the number pad to enter numbers.  What happens when I try is a letter is
printed and the cursor starts jumping all over.  OTOH I the number pad
works fine in rxvt.  I've looked through the vim documentation and
looked at environment variables and the archives and haven't gotten
anywhere.  Anyone know how to solve this?
Thanks,
kent

--
I'd really love ta wana help ya Flanders but... Homer Simpson