Re: Ho switch foreign keyboard?

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 at 11:17:17 +0100, Jonathan Gift wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
>
> Thanks for getting back to me!
>
> > Try 'setxkbmap'.
>
> I looked it up and itr seems to deal with X11 only? That correct? I can
> switch the X keyboard easily.

Ah, right. I misunderstood you (thinking that you wanted a way to change
the keymap on the fly rather than having to edit XF86Config and restart
X).

> Linux also botts initially in English.
> It's when the boot is finished that the command prompt keyboard ia
> French. That's what needs changing? Wil xkbsel do that?
>
> I looked in my files and found a reference to kbdconfig? Of any use?

kbdconfig is what you want, I think. Just run it and you'll get a series
of menus where you can select your keymap, and optionally set the
boot-time default as well.